Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Bad day, bad bad dreams

Yesterday was a trying day with Grace. It started off great, really. Then I tried to get some shopping done. Now I know I've talked about how much she hates shopping before, but here I go again.

So anyways, I got her all packed up yessterday because I had some errands to run. Walmart, Kmart and Tops. She starts fussing inside of Walmart, and by the time I'm in the checkout line she's super ticked off and is screaming her head off. The checkout lady calls her a boy.. cough.. (did she not see ALL THE PINK) and then realizes that she's not a boy. Anyways, I pick her up in the check out line because people are starting to stare, and of course she giggles and laughs and all is well.. until we get back in the car. Now Kmart is across the street.. takes five minutes to get there. Grace screams the whole way there, so much so that she's got tears running down her cheek when I get out of the car. I feed her in the car, thinking maybe that's the problem and she won't continue freaking out inside Kmart. I was wrong. She cries the whole time I'm in Kmart too. Again people are staring but I don't care. She finally falls asleep on the way to Tops, again, a five minute drive and I do get my grocery shopping done. Thank you lord.
We get home and she wakes up. I'm attempting to make dinner (which was just frozen food in a bag that needed heated up) and she won't stop crying again. I feed her again, give her gas drops, hold her, rock her, put her in her swing.. nothing helps. Girlfriend will not stop crying. I send Mike a message saying "R U COMING HOME"? When really what I wanted to say is "I'M LOOSING MY MIND HERE, GET HOME NOW!!!" and he replies with "I'm still in a meeting".
*sigh*
He's still in a meeting in Cuyahoga Falls, which is at least 45 mins away.
So I just let her cry in her swing for a minute while I turn on the burner and dump my frozen food in a pot and put a lid on it and go back to my crying child. (I need to eat at this point, like NEED TO EAT, because I haven't all day)
So I hold her and she starts to get better. She likes to look out the window here and that makes her calm down a bit. Mike finally gets home and I hand her off. Finish dinner and scarf it down. Of course, she's like an angel when he gets here and again he must think I've lost my mind when I tell him how she's been all day.
So I give the girl a bath and she falls asleep around 8:30. I'm mentally exhausted.

Then I have a horrible dream. I dream that I'm shopping at Walmart, and I've been there awhile. I'm trying to decide on what type of paper plates to buy for a cookout where going to at Jeff's and I just cannot pick out what I want. Then I realize, I don't have my baby. I don't know where she's at. I call my sister and ask her to go to my house and see if I've left the baby home alone. She won't go. I yell at her and hang up the phone. I look out the window of Walmart and see my car. Is she in my car? Did I leave my baby in the car while I shopped? How did I forget her? In my dream I cannot get to my car fast enough. And when I do, there's my baby sleeping in her car seat. People are standing around and there is a police officer there, waiting for me. I tell him I was only gone a minute and beg him to let me get her out of the car. I get in and try to pick up my baby. I drop her, right in front of the officer. I look at him and then pick her up and hold her and hug her.. telling him I don't know how this has happened. I have never done this before, he has to believe me. I ask him if he has children, but I can't remember his answer. He's writing down stuff on what appears to be a ticket and I think to myself.. is he giving me a ticket? For forgetting my baby? Or am I going to jail and never see my baby again.

Then I wake up. My baby girl is sleeping next to me and I'm so thankfull that was all a bad dream. It was horrible and even though I know it was a dream.. I'm still scared. I still feel bad about it. She's my baby..and I forgot her.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Must've been the frozen food. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the dream was stress-induced....{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

Kara - Wife, Momma, Doula said...

I think the dream was a call to wake up and see your beautiful baby. I have days like you had...days where I just scream at the top of my lungs and my kids look at me like "what in the heck is wrong with MOM". Then I take a minute to calm down and all is well again. If you need to just put her in the swing...let her cry and go in your room and say a little prayer for strength!