Thursday, October 19, 2006

In Remembrance of Daniel R. McCroskey




















10-14-1924 - 10-15-2006


Grandpa,

I'm so sorry to see you go, but I know your in a better place now. A place where you will not suffer anymore pain, and no longer need any medication. You lived a long life, full of adventure and love, and you will be missed very much. I'd like to tell you that I love you. I also want you to know that I wish I would have taken the chance to get to know you better while you were alive. I thought we'd have more time. We all thought we'd have more time. I have very fond memories of you, telling stories and working in your garden. I also remember a time when Dad and I stopped over at your house, and you were outside working in your garage. You had your jean overalls on and you were all sticky and sweaty. You were piddling around with something wooden, making a shelf or a clock, and I just remember sitting there with you and Dad while you guys talked and told stories like you always did. I wish I could go back to that day, and have you teach me a few things about how to make such beautiful items out of wood. I really would have liked to learn that stuff from you, but never realized it till later in life.

We came to see you the day you died. You looked so good. Alert and talking, but somehow I just had this feeling you wouldn't make it much longer. Grace was getting into everything in the house so we couldn't stay long. We decided to leave and I gave you a kiss on the head, told you I loved you and said next time I'd get a sitter for Grace so she wouldn't bug you. You said you loved me back, and told me not to worry about Gracie. Three hours later, I got the call that you had passed away. I kinda knew it was going to happen, but didn't realize it would be so soon.

Even though I didn't know you like I may have wanted, I did love you. You were my only Grandpa, and I'm going to miss you a ton. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-( I'm sorry for your loss. (((Devon)))

Renee said...

Devon, that is such a sweet tribute to your grandpa. I'm so sorry for your loss, and so thankful that you got to see him before he was gone. Hugs, doll.

Tiffany said...

Devon, I am so sorry for your loss of a wonderful man. I am sure he loved you as much as you loved him. Take comfort in knowing that he is in a comfortable and serene place now. Hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

Devon, What a wonderful posting for our Dad and your Granddad, your right he was a wonderful man. Very loving and kind. I wish we all could have learn his master woodworking too, he made very many beautiful things. I will miss him terribly and his jokes and stories. He love you and his whole family very much. Thanks for sharing this with us!!!!!!!!! Love Your Aunt Brenda