Friday, September 05, 2008

Before you have kids..

..you think you have a clue how to raise them. You secretly judge parents that make bad decisions. You might even talk about them to other friends, and think you have all the answers. Then you have your own, and it's kind of like "open mouth, insert foot". Before Grace, I thought any kids not potty trained that wore pull ups or diapers, that knew when they needed the diapers changed were old enough to be trained/should be trained by now.
Not true. I thought that the parents were probably lazy, and just didn't work with them enough. I remember saying, allot, if the kid knows that his/her diaper needs changed, then it's time to potty train. Not really realizing that the parents are probably potty training, and doing their best. Because that's were we are now. We are making progress, and she's doing a great job, but she still has accidents and still knows when she pees and needs changed. That does not make me a bad person, or her a bad kid, it's just life with a toddler.
It's just so easy when you don't have kids, or have small babies, to make assumptions about other kids/parents. But as in my case, better be careful what you say. It will probably bite you in the butt.

Another example is crying kids in the store. I hated it before. I couldn't believe that the parents wouldn't just leave the store and deal with the kid, or just leave the kid at home. Ever since Grace has been old enough to be aware that we were shopping, she's pretty much hated it. It's getting better, or has gotten better over time, but for the most part she has generally hated grocery shopping, or any shopping for that matter. I've tried everything. Food, drinks, snacks, books, color book and crayons, favorite blankets/toys, pointing things out to her, letting her hold a new toy while we shop. I mean everything. Sometimes she is just not happy, and there is nothing I can do. Sure, I can get frustrated and leave, but I also need to get my shopping done and she has had super meltdowns and I didn't leave the store. I'm sure there are people around that thought "why doesn't she just leave" but I don't care. Of course, there have been times when I did leave, or we took a break, but not every time. If you teach a kid that if they act a certain way, they will get what they want, then you will never get anything done.

No comments: